Welcome to OBOT
The Methadone Office-Based Opiate (OBOT) Treatment Program is a unique model for delivering methadone treatment to people with opioid use disorder through a partnership between San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) Primary Care Clinics and Outpatient Pharmacies. Started in 2003, the program allows selected patients to receive methadone (in pill form) for treatment of opioid use disorder at specially licensed community pharmacies rather than in a traditional opiate treatment program (“methadone clinic”). The OBOT program is technically under the umbrella of the larger Opiate Treatment Outpatient Program located on the San Francisco General Hospital campus and it serves patients enrolled at one of the participating primary care clinics. Patients receive both primary care and addiction treatment services from their primary care physician and a counselor assigned to the OBOT program at that site. While we treat a small number of patients in this program, participants enjoy the flexibility and integration of care and greater freedom from some of the more restrictive elements of treatment in a traditional opiate treatment program.
OBOT Methadone is a partnership between the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) and the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
Currently the program has three primary care clinic sites:
Potrero Hill Health Center, Tom Waddell Urban Health Center and the Positive Health Program.
There are two participating community pharmacies which are both SFDPH pharmacies: The San Francisco General Hospital Pharmacy (on the hospital campus) and the Behavioral Health Services Pharmacy (1380 Howard Street)
OBOT’s Approach to Care
OTOP is committed to providing high quality, compassionate, and evidence-based care to people with opioid use disorder in San Francisco. We are a public health program. Your recovery, your life, and your journey are our focus, and we will never treat you like a number or put profit ahead of your needs. Within the limitations of federal and state law, we make services work for everyone who wants them, and we integrate harm reduction into all aspects of treatment. This program enjoys multiple exceptions to federal and state law that allow us to provide a less restrictive experience that feels more like other medical services.
We bring the strengths of both SFDPH and UCSF to our work, and we value and respect all people. OBOT has a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our work, and we live that commitment on a day-to-day basis with you.
Available Services at OBOT
- Methadone for Opioid Use Disorder (in pill form from a pharmacy)
- Substance Use Counseling
- Counseling, Referrals, and Care Coordination for other Substance Use Disorders
- Motivational Interviewing and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Primary Care Services for all patients
- Integrated Care
- Reduced requirements for Take Home medication and Urine Drug Testing
- Medical Maintenance Track minimal counseling and treatment planning for select patients in stable long-term recovery
- Current enrollment in other OTP w/ evidence of long-term stability and could benefit from lower level of care
- Adult, 18 years of age and older
- San Francisco Resident, eligible for care in the SFDPH system
- Receives primary care service at TWUHC, PHHC or PHP/Ward 86 OR willing to transfer care to one of these clinics
- No alcohol misuse or non-prescribed drug use
- Dependable – able to keep counseling appointments and dose consistently
- Able to dose during pharmacy hours
- No untreated psychiatric or medical issues
- Not interested in detoxing off methadone – willing to stay in tx for a minimum of 1 year
- Not pregnant or planning to become pregnant
If you are not sure if you are eligible, please call us to discuss your situation and needs at (628) 206-8412
How to Make a Referral
- Sign consent to exchange information between current methadone program and OBOT.
- Contact OBOT central office below to obtain current intake contact information, then send consent form and contact information. An OBOT counsellor will f/u with patient for initial eligibility screening & to set up intake appointment.
Hours of Operation
Pharmacy hours at San Francisco General Hospital:
Monday to Saturday 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
Pharmacy hours at 1380 Howard Street:
Monday to Friday 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm
The Dope Project (https://harmreduction.org/our-work/action/dope-project-san-francisco/)
Overdose Prevention SFAF (https://www.sfaf.org/services/overdose-prevention/)
COVID Resources and Visiting Guidelines for SFGH (https://zuckerbergsanfranciscogeneral.org/patient-visitor-resources/covid-19-resources/)